lost tribe aotearoa
Lost Tribe Aotearoa (LTA) are an 8-piece family-based band who share conscious messages through their lyrics. Their sound is an eclectic mix of roots, dub, rock, ska and blues and they are well known for their high energy live shows and the contagious uplifting vibes their music evokes.
Lost Tribe Aotearoa’s talent was spotted in June 2018 when they won Mai FM's Big Break competition with debut single 'Irie' which reached a high of #7 in the NZ Charts. They went on to release their debut EP Stick Together in May 2019, and the band quickly established a loyal fan base Stick Together surpassed 2 million streams on Spotify. In 2019, Lost Tribe Aotearoa were nominated for best roots artist next to LAB and Troy Kingi at the Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards (VNZMA’s).
They went on to release their debut self-titled album LTA in May 2020, which achieved over 3m streams on Spotify and their music videos reached beyond 4 million streams on Youtube. ‘Wickedman, Irie’ and ‘Reflections’ also achieved commercial success with mainstream radio plays on stations such as Hauraki and Mai Fm. Their high energy live shows and infectious good vibes earned regular spots on the conscious festival circuit including Spirit Festival, Revive and Earthbeat festival, as well as regular spots at Soundsplash and for the first time in 2023, a spot on Homegrowns iconic mainstage.
Articles and Reviews
“Lost Tribe Aotearoa have an interestingly broad musical palette within the genre, and although they inevitably slip into reggae's musical and lyrical reference points they mostly stand apart from the wearily familiar reggae out there.” - Graham Reid
“Big heavy dub backline and tight brass section, classic ragga style perfectly suited to the sunny weather. Particularly excellent vocals from the three frontmen Tux, Ben and Jesse, all working well in harmonies and uniquely different in solos.”
— EVA FALOON (Music Nation)
“You can tell these musos are a “family band”; they’re homely, tight, fun and collaborate exceptionally well together. Their messages are praised and loved by many and their live presence is uplifting.”
— GABY IVANOV-GIRALDO (Muzik.net)
- Nominated for best roots artist at 2019 Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards for EP 'Stick Together'
- June 2018 won Mai FM's Big Break competition with debut single 'Irie' which reached a high of #7 in the NZ Charts
- May 2019 released debut EP 'Stick Together' which has accumulated over 2 million streams
- Received New Zealand on Air funding for four video's 'Wicked Man', 'Badman', 'Lost Generation 2.0' and 'Reflections'
- May 2020 released debut self-titled album 'LTA' which has accumulated over 3 million streams
- Over 4 million streams on Youtube
- Single 'Reflections' released December 2022 stayed in NZ charts for 3 months with its highest position #4
- Played Soundsplash 2018, 2019, 2022 (Main stage in 2018)
- Played Mainstage Jim Beam Homegrown 2023
- Headlined many top conscious festivals throughout NZ in 2020-2023 including NZ Spirit Festival in 2021, 22 and 23
- Multiple national tours throughout North and South Island
- December 2019 saw LTA's largest crowd of 7,000+ at Beers in the Basin (Wellington)